Job Hunting
In Work
Thinking About Quitting
Tools
Community
Shop

Not working notice

Not working notice period

I want to leave my job without working the full months notice - I don't need a reference from them, so whats the worst they can do? Can they stop me taking up a new job?

offski

27/05/2006 13:19:16

Not working notice period

Originally posted by offski:
I want to leave my job without working the full months notice - I don't need a reference from them, so whats the worst they can do? Can they stop me taking up a new job?

The worst they can do is take you to court for breach of contract. That is unlikey unless the employer is nasty or you are a highly paid/specalise employee.

Slough

27/05/2006 15:01:35

Correct leaving date for P45

I was made made redundant by my employer though i am pursuing a claim for unfair dismissal. I was called into a meeting and told that a decision has been agreed to make my post redundant and that i should leave immediately without going baack to my desk. I would be paid in lieu of notice but my last working day was that very day. I've just received my P45 and it staes that my date of leaving is the end of the 4 weeks notice period and not the date I was asked to stop working & leave immediately. I queried this and was told that the P45 reflects the money i earned but not my last date with the company. Please can someone explain what date my P45 should hold. I personally feel it should be that date the company sacked me and not the notice period they had to pay me. Please i need an answer urgently.

many thanks for your help Jayjay

JayJay

12/08/2006 02:35:36

Correct leaving date for P45

Originally posted by JayJay:
I was made made redundant by my employer though i am pursuing a claim for unfair dismissal. I was called into a meeting and told that a decision has been agreed to make my post redundant and that i should leave immediately without going baack to my desk. I would be paid in lieu of notice but my last working day was that very day. I've just received my P45 and it staes that my date of leaving is the end of the 4 weeks notice period and not the date I was asked to stop working & leave immediately. I queried this and was told that the P45 reflects the money i earned but not my last date with the company. Please can someone explain what date my P45 should hold. I personally feel it should be that date the company sacked me and not the notice period they had to pay me. Please i need an answer urgently.

many thanks for your help Jayjay

It would have been better if you had started this query in a new thread.
From what you say, it appears that you've been declared redundant rather than being sacked: any action you would be taking would be to claim that the employers had not followed proper redundancy procedure or that you were entitled to more redundancy pay, not for wrongful dismissal. Others would have to advise you on that. But I can't see any problem over the date on your P45: your next employer would only be interested in the gross pay and tax that your current employer has paid, not the exact date (except if we were around the end of the tax year, which we aren't). In effect your current employer has given you four weeks notice but instead of saying "come to work, phone this customer, file these letters" (or whatever you were employed to do) they're saying "don't come into the office for four weeks but we'll pay you as normal" (presumably they would have to pay NI contributions for you as normal?). Just treat those four weeks as extra paid holiday / paid jobsearch time / paid time to see solicitors or CAB, as you see fit.

Regards, Johanndee

johanndee

13/08/2006 00:31:32

Not working notice

I have had to leave my job due to personal circumstances, this has resulted in me moving 150miles away from my job. It is impossible to work my notice. I think i am just going to come clean and explain my situation instead of exploiting the system and getting signed off for a month. What can my employer do? will they give me a bad reference?

H

10/11/2006 18:49:37

What are the implications ?

Hi, I got a new job where they want me to join in 2 weeks time but my current employer wants me to serve full notice period of 4 weeks.If I get a doctor's certificate as sick for last 2 weeks and go and join a new company, what could be the implications ?

Macquarie

11/03/2007 05:53:05

A shorter notice period due to personal circumstances

I've been offered a job that requires me to start within at the end of April. My notice period if three months. I can start after my notice period is over by I would lose out on a lot of money (I would be offered a different contract).

The extra money would solve a lot of my personal problems. Some of these my boss is aware of and some he is not (my debt).

He basically said that if he can find someone to replace me in time then I can leave. If not, then I'll have to honour my contract.

Another factor is that the job I am doing at the moment (which he wants completed) is not what I was hired for originally. I did agree to do it and completion is one of my objectives. I have also told my boss that I feel that I'm not doing a good job as it's a new type of job to me.

I'm wondering if I have a case to request a shorter notice period given these factors.

Many thanks.

Bern

blueyeguy

14/03/2007 18:55:15

Worried about reputation after quitting two jobs

Last year, I quit my job after 13 years service. I wanted to work for a different company because I wanted to progress further in my career and prove to myself that I could survive in another organisation. I started working for a different company, but the job was mis-sold to me so decided to quit after two weeks.

Since then, I've moved to a different company and have been working there for the last three months. It's ok, but I don't think I last more than two years because the role is quite boring and I don't like the management. However, last week I was head hunted by a company for a job that I think I will really suit me and I will enjoy, but I'm so worried about quitting another job in such a short space of time. Should I be worried about damaging my reputation, especially if I do take up this "head hunted" opportunity and that doesn't work out.

I was so loyal to the first company that I don't want to appear like I'm a job hopper. Should I take the risk and go for this job, or should I stick with my current job and get at least two years on my CV?

Jim

16/03/2007 17:43:14

MACQUARIE

Beware of joining this company as an EA - very very odd place to work for most people ...weird eery vibe and the turnover of assistants is huge! Only ones that stick around are ozzies working out there visas.

scoops25

12/03/2008 15:10:08