Job Hunting
In Work
Thinking About Quitting
Tools
Community
Shop

am i allowed out whilst on sick leave

am i allowed out whilst on sick leave

i have been signed off work for 4 weeks now with bad back. I am due to go back to drs tomorrow to which i will prob be signed off again as i am still in alot of pain. However last friday i went out for a few drinks with a friends and danced gently of course maybe three times apart from that sitting walking depending how my back was at the time. Thing is bosses wife walked in the pub, now we are friends anyway so she spent most of the evening with us. Am i allowed to go out whilst signed off sick. I am also in the process of sueing the comany which is retail as my back was injured when i was alone last summer doing a delivery this subside after 9 weeks off but has come back again and doctor thinks this will be a regular thing for me now the damage has been done. So one both counts of being on sick leave ans sueing and i allowed to go and resume as normal as i can without getting into trouble .

kezzieuk

11/03/2010 21:44:25

if your personal injury claim is as a result of negligence on the part of your employer under health and safety and you are able to prove this or the employers records do not support their defence then i believe it is OK for you to go out especially if this is covered by a medical note. it may not be a good idea to dance in front of the bosses wife? that said personal injury claims can take many months and even years to settle and it may be you will have to consider a return to work with reasonable adjustments but again your legal representative will advise accordingly.

crocodile

11/03/2010 23:18:01

There's a big difference between standing in a pub for an hour and working full slog for 8. It would be highly unreasonable for anyone to expect you to stay in your house for 2 weeks solid. If anyone sues their company its a regualar occurance to be signed off while the case proceeds.

You will of course understand that the company will try to use anything against you. In their eyes you are suing them for something that was your fault (in their eyes of course) and now you are out living it up while they have to pay you for doing nothing.

Bog_Pony

12/03/2010 01:55:12

I have to agree. With the greatest respect in the world, the "bad back injury" at work has become notorious in claim circles, and you need to be very cautious. Whilst you are off sick (and even when you are not) you are not expected to be a prisoner in your home, but the way that you act outside may be subject to scrutiny. It has not been unheard of for insurance companies to employ private detectives to follow and photograph people making such claims to show that their claim is bogus or that the injury is nowhere near as bad as they say.

shikahra

12/03/2010 06:17:00

Vividly recall a manager on holiday once went for a game of golf only to encounter on the course one of his staff who he knew was signed off sick with a bad back.

The manager raised hell about it with us in 'Personnel' and the Works Doctor was consulted, who shut everyone up with the professional opinion that many of his colleagues would regard a round of golf as potentially very therapeutic for a bad back !!

That said, people who claim inability to walk have been covertly photographed doing fun runs etc, so some things are ok and others not.

bubbles_once

12/03/2010 09:00:30

Many moons ago I worked as a bar tender in a hotel that ran Salsa classes in the function room. A chap that had been attending the classes for a few weeks was standing at the bar, not taking part. After he finished his drink he took out a rather impressive papparazzi style camera, photographed the event and walked out. No one thought much of it until we had a request for all sorts of details of the organisers and CCTV of the events.

Turns out the teacher was off sick long term from work with a spinal injury following a "car accident" - which was in reality what is termed a "whipper" - a fake PI claim.

JohnD1979

12/03/2010 09:15:12

But the really big question here is - will Salsa classes cure my bad back?

shikahra

12/03/2010 12:38:05

just blame it on the bossa nova !!

bubbles_once

12/03/2010 13:18:46

shikahra,

But the really big question here is - will Salsa classes cure my bad back?

Sometimes is nice to make funny comments:-)

abcd1234

12/03/2010 15:53:11