Home
Resigning
Job Hunting
In Work
Thinking About Quitting
Tools
Community
Shop

NOtice Period in Probationary Period...HELP!

How much notice do i need to give legally - HELP

Anyone who can help please reply asap as i am up the wall!! I have a contract which says this contract is subject to completion of 3 months probation and alos in another section that i must give one months notice and so must the employer. After 4 and half months my boss gave me something titled 'INTERNAL MEMO' saying that he wanted to extend it until i got some exam results - which i have not received yet. it was just given to me - i didnt sign it as it didnt require a signature but i still have this in my possession. I now want to leave and technically i am still on probationary... so is my notice period one week or one month..... i only want o give week really!! Can anyone help? x

Shaniasquire

07/10/2005 16:26:27

Originally posted by Shaniasquire:
Anyone who can help please reply asap as i am up the wall!! I have a contract which says this contract is subject to completion of 3 months probation and alos in another section that i must give one months notice and so must the employer. After 4 and half months my boss gave me something titled 'INTERNAL MEMO' saying that he wanted to extend it until i got some exam results - which i have not received yet. it was just given to me - i didnt sign it as it didnt require a signature but i still have this in my possession. I now want to leave and technically i am still on probationary... so is my notice period one week or one month..... i only want o give week really!! Can anyone help? x

Hi

If the contract you signed stipulates one month's notice then this is what you should give, however I would advise being honest with your boss and see what agreement you can reach. Good Luck!

Hamble

07/10/2005 17:17:22

Normally the notice period is 1 week for the probationary period. Then it goes to 1 month up until 2 years of service. After that it depends on the company.

When you hand in your resignation letter take a copy (not your orignal) of the memo with you. .

Slough

12/10/2005 19:54:32

Date of resignation in writing

My Company gave me a memo asking for a date when I will leave the company to give them in writing and aslo they promised to give me full settlement. I was working for the last 28yrs.

bareto

14/11/2005 17:42:10

Career Deadlock

Can anyone tell me about their experiences in dead-end jobs? I find I'm faced with a stark choice. Either I look elsewhere for work and incur a nasty salary drop (one thing they do well at my present location is pay, no problems there), or stay in my menial job that by remaining unchanged for over 6 years makes a mockery of everything the company says about itself. I've remained on rung one for far too long, and after discussing this with an independent party, apparently I'm right; management is failing the staff by leaving them locked exactly where they are. Training? Forget it, you might learn something useful. Then you'll leave and then where will we be? Move within the company? No way, you're too useful to us where you are. Promotion? There's no position and we can't just create one. Besides, if you're good, you'll just go causing problems for us managers. One thing you don't want to do around here is rock the boats of the empire-building little department 'captains'.

So, is it worth prodding the hornet's nest and trying to change the mentality of those in charge, or is it that the fast-track to becoming 'compelled to leave'? Anyone who's been through a similar experience, please let me know how things turned out.

Minion

14/11/2005 18:24:22

Originally posted by Shaniasquire:

Your statutory legal leave notice is 1 week, unlesss it state in your contract that for the first 6 months, whilst in your probation period it is 1 Month. Finally you only need to give them 1 weeks notice, then walk out of there on the last day!

fiodani

18/11/2005 21:55:02

Given Notice After Probation Period

Hi all, I wanted a little advice... I stumbled upon this webste yesterday and thought i'd pick all your brains on this one........

I worked for a well known stationary company and my probation period was due to end on 27 October 05. My manager was away sick for the week so my final probationary review was not held. On Monday she returned to work. On Tuesday she sent me an e-mail saying that due to her being away sick she had talked her manager on Friday and he had agreed to extend my probation for 1 week - her manager never said a thing to me on the Friday and I did talk to him several times.

As 4 days had passed since the "official" probationary end can she do this?

I raised a query about it all unofficially and low and behold I consequently was not kept on - reason stated was "not what we were looking for". I'm not worried about the job it's just the way in which it all seemed to be done in a cowboy manner. Anyone got any thoughts??

Anita

19/11/2005 14:17:04

Not able to stay till Notice Period

I have resigned from a company where i worked for four months. I was in probation my notice period given in the offer letter was one month. the new employment demanded me to join earlier. i spoke to my boss he relieved me from the responsibilities but my HR was not ready to relieve me . i submitted my resignation on 22 asking to relieve me on 30th i was tring to get my relieving till 2nd mean time i gave training to other people as per discussion with my boss. I didn get relieving till 2nd so I came out and joined in new company on 5th my new employer know this. I didnt get paid for last month from my old employer. Please help me how I can get my Pay,PFand Mediclaim of 4 months and relieving letter. I have not signed any bond.

Thanks in advance mail me at: bluestar5in@yahoo.com

reez

21/12/2005 10:18:54

Given Notice After Probation Period

Originally posted by Anita:
Hi all, I wanted a little advice... I stumbled upon this webste yesterday and thought i'd pick all your brains on this one........

I worked for a well known stationary company and my probation period was due to end on 27 October 05. My manager was away sick for the week so my final probationary review was not held. On Monday she returned to work. On Tuesday she sent me an e-mail saying that due to her being away sick she had talked her manager on Friday and he had agreed to extend my probation for 1 week - her manager never said a thing to me on the Friday and I did talk to him several times.

As 4 days had passed since the "official" probationary end can she do this?

I raised a query about it all unofficially and low and behold I consequently was not kept on - reason stated was "not what we were looking for". I'm not worried about the job it's just the way in which it all seemed to be done in a cowboy manner. Anyone got any thoughts??
Lots of companies breach employment law. It's not worth you doing it but even if you have not got a years length of service if they breached acas rules (www.acas.org.uk) you can do them for unfair dismissal.

Slough

21/12/2005 12:07:36

Resigning

hi, Just a quick one, i want to leave my job but i have never had a written contract, i think i have finished my probationary period as i have worked part-time (whilst also at college) for 7 months. How long should my notice be? And do i have to tell my empoyer why i am leaving. He's so nosey he will ask but do i have to tell him? Please respond asap as i really wanna leave.

Heath

14/03/2006 17:29:15

Handed in my notice but now i need to stay.

To cut a long story short i handed in my notice 2 months ago. I had to give 4 weeks notice which would have left me leaving at the end of march.

However my new job fell through so the area manager extended my notice for a month.

However now my month is up and they have told me i will be due to leave in 3 days.

Is there anyway i can get out of this? Reason being my wife has been made redundant and money will be tight, With the way jobs are in my region this will effectively ruin my life.

Any help would be most appreciated!

TheCrow1982

21/04/2008 19:22:56

Sorry, but if you handed in your notice, you have no rights in this. Your employer can choose to vary it as a mutually agreed thing (as they did), or even rescind it on a mutual agreement. But there is nothing you can do to force them to agree. It comes down to whether they still want you / still have a job (it may have been promised elsewhere) / whether they will negotiate. The only strategy would be asking! Sorry.

shikahra

22/04/2008 13:38:42

NOtice Period in Probationary Period...

Hi, I'm in the same poo, how did things work out for you?

tangrant

24/04/2008 09:54:46

probation periods???

i worked for a company for nearly 3 years and had long passed my probation period but had to leave for personal reasons. 3 months later i was invited to rejoin the company which i did and 2 weeks after i started they claim im in a new probation period. can they do this???

monkey_biz

25/11/2008 18:31:35

Yes indeed. Probationary periods are not a legal thing - they are custom and practice. But if there is a break in employment you would normally have to serve another probationary period, and increasingly even with continuous employment they are introduced now for new jobs.

shikahra

25/11/2008 18:44:14

woops that was meant to be a new post to tag onto anthother thread..........

anyway thanks for the info

monkey_biz

25/11/2008 18:48:50

hi

hi

krishna9k

28/03/2009 11:25:59