Job Hunting
In Work
Thinking About Quitting
Tools
Community
Shop

Defamation of Character

Stress at work is depressing me

I work in retail and find the job easy and boring. I have been extremely stressed lately with all the bitching/severe nastyness which has happened over the past 6 months and it has left me depressed and basically a nervous wreck. A colleague has spread a nasty rumour that I am a social smoker of cannabis and my Manager sat me down and confronted me about this - she said 'for the needs of the business I need to know if you are a social smoker of cannabis' . I am anti-drugs and at all costs try to avoid people who even smoke the stuff, but admit I have tried it out of curiosity a couple of times (at Uni and my house mates smoke it) and told my manager this. My manager would not tell me the person who told her this about me as it has to remain confidential to protect that person. It is a complete lie about me which has caused so much stress for me at work - I feel paranoid now that people are saying bad things about me behind my back and that my boss thinks that I lie. I have guessed who the woman is who has said this about me, I mentioned to her once that I had tried cannabis - she has also been fairly nasty to me verbally. I also overheard in the toilets at work people talking about me saying that the company thinks that I am stealing. The same woman has I think told them that she thinks I am stealing as some of her stock went missing when I was on my own on the department. Basically I know they think I am stealing and I would never do such a thing - I care about my job, my life etc and am an honest person but all this has left my good character, I feel, in shreads. In retail where I work nothing is confidential and gossip spreads and I am scared they will make me redundant. I know some of the security guards at work and often say hi, but as soon as that stock went missing there attitudes did change towards me I could tell. I also think they have told other stores about suspecting me of stealing, I know how they work, years ago they showed me a photo of a girl they suspected of stealing and told me they had sent it to all the department stores - I am so god damn paranoid now when I go shopping its turned me into a nervous wreck. My life at work is hell now. Am I becoming too paranoid?? What are my rights?

Sophia

20/11/2005 22:54:47

I work in retail and find the job easy and boring. I have been extremely stressed lately with all the bitching/severe nastyness which has happened over the past 6 months and it has left me depressed and basically a nervous wreck. A colleague has spread a nasty rumour that I am a social smoker of cannabis and my Manager sat me down and confronted me about this - she said 'for the needs of the business I need to know if you are a social smoker of cannabis' . I am anti-drugs and at all costs try to avoid people who even smoke the stuff, but admit I have tried it out of curiosity a couple of times (at Uni and my house mates smoke it) and told my manager this. My manager would not tell me the person who told her this about me as it has to remain confidential to protect that person. It is a complete lie about me which has caused so much stress for me at work - I feel paranoid now that people are saying bad things about me behind my back and that my boss thinks that I lie. I have guessed who the woman is who has said this about me, I mentioned to her once that I had tried cannabis - she has also been fairly nasty to me verbally. I also overheard in the toilets at work people talking about me saying that the company thinks that I am stealing. The same woman has I think told them that she thinks I am stealing as some of her stock went missing when I was on my own on the department. Basically I know they think I am stealing and I would never do such a thing - I care about my job, my life etc and am an honest person but all this has left my good character, I feel, in shreads. In retail where I work nothing is confidential and gossip spreads and I am scared they will make me redundant. I know some of the security guards at work and often say hi, but as soon as that stock went missing there attitudes did change towards me I could tell. I also think they have told other stores about suspecting me of stealing, I know how they work, years ago they showed me a photo of a girl they suspected of stealing and told me they had sent it to all the department stores - I am so god damn paranoid now when I go shopping its turned me into a nervous wreck. My life at work is hell now. Am I becoming too paranoid?? What are my rights?

Sophia

20/11/2005 22:55:14

Every company has a Dignity at Work Policy - find out what your employers is. You should phone HR too - it will allow you to get some advice in confidence.

anita

21/11/2005 13:07:22

New job nerves

Well I starting my new job tomorrow and I feel sick to my stomach. I am so nervous and everything is whirring round in my head. Will they like me, will they be friendly, will I fit in, will I enjoy the job !!!!!

Any advice for me to calm myself I just feel like not going in at all and ringing up and saying I not taking the job. I am getting myself into such a mess about something silly like this.

jay1974

21/11/2005 14:04:12

Defamation

I went to temp as a secretary for a solicitors in Brighton. The booking was for four days. After two days, I spoke to the agency about receiving holiday pay. A few hours later they rang me and told me the booking was over. I asked why and they told me they had run out of work. I wrote to them and asked them for the reason why as I felt it was rather strange. They rang me the day I was due to go on holiday and told me the solicitors had said that I had hardly produced any work and the fee earner had had to do my typing for me. This was such a load of rubbish - I was gobsmacked. I rang the solicitors and asked their HR girl and she just kept insisting that this was what the fee earner had told them. They completely ruined my holiday. I wrote to the Managing Partner telling him what had happened and he did not even apologise. Has anyone else had to put up with such utter crap treatment?

Jane

23/12/2005 12:54:35

Defamation

Originally posted by Jane:
I went to temp as a secretary for a solicitors in Brighton. The booking was for four days. After two days, I spoke to the agency about receiving holiday pay. A few hours later they rang me and told me the booking was over. I asked why and they told me they had run out of work. I wrote to them and asked them for the reason why as I felt it was rather strange. They rang me the day I was due to go on holiday and told me the solicitors had said that I had hardly produced any work and the fee earner had had to do my typing for me. This was such a load of rubbish - I was gobsmacked. I rang the solicitors and asked their HR girl and she just kept insisting that this was what the fee earner had told them. They completely ruined my holiday. I wrote to the Managing Partner telling him what had happened and he did not even apologise. Has anyone else had to put up with such utter crap treatment?

Don't take this personally-

Your are a temp you are temporary.

Bookings and jobs are cancelled at anytime because your face,age, race or sex doesn't fit what the client wants, and as the agency is keen to do what the client wants for the money they will do so.

Normally when clients get rid of people they don't even bother to make up an excuse. They just get the agency to tell you that you are not needed anymore.

Slough

23/12/2005 22:48:34

Defamation

Originally posted by Slough:

Don't take this personally-

Your are a temp you are temporary.

Bookings and jobs are cancelled at anytime because your face,age, race or sex doesn't fit what the client wants, and as the agency is keen to do what the client wants for the money they will do so.

Normally when clients get rid of people they don't even bother to make up an excuse. They just get the agency to tell you that you are not needed anymore.
If you really agree with this load of claptrap then you are a racist, sexist, bigot. Haven't you ever heard of employment rights? Agencies that work like this will find they only get crap temps.

Jane

18/01/2006 16:17:26

Defamation

If you really agree with this load of claptrap then you are a racist, sexist, bigot. Haven't you ever heard of employment rights? Agencies that work like this will find they only get crap temps.

Actually I use to have friends' who worked for such agencies and that's what they were told to do i.e. keep the client happy. They got fed up of it and got out of recruitment.

Slough

18/01/2006 16:26:26

New job nerves

Originally posted by jay1974:
Well I starting my new job tomorrow and I feel sick to my stomach. I am so nervous and everything is whirring round in my head. Will they like me, will they be friendly, will I fit in, will I enjoy the job !!!!!

Any advice for me to calm myself I just feel like not going in at all and ringing up and saying I not taking the job. I am getting myself into such a mess about something silly like this.

Don't be daft. Of course you should go in. Imaginary failing are normally in a person's head anyway and nothing ever turns out to be as bad as you think it will be. The really unlucky sods are those that look forward to their jobs, put in the hard work and effort to do well but still get treated like a piece of cow dung.

Good luck.

Suze

18/01/2006 20:38:31

Defamation

The sad thing is that temps don't have any employment rights, unless they've been on site for over a year, when they are treated as employees and can go to a tribunal for unfair dismissal.

I think you could be mistaken about the holiday pay aspect too. I believe that the hourly rate normally includes holiday pay and sick pay in it so you wouldn't be entitled to additional pay if you took a day off. I know the employment agencies regulations have changed though, since I did temping, so I could be wrong.

Suze

18/01/2006 20:42:00

Defamation of Character

Hello there,

I am 27 and have recently been sacked from my job. I've been working for a management company, who are in the music industry, for the best part of 4 years, essentially running the business very successfully whilst the managing director has been "otherwise engaged". My work has directly and notably influenced the growth and development of the business and of its management clients.

I was sacked over the telephone and received a Letter of Termination 5 days later.

The day I was sacked, my employer emailed the staff of the company I work for (3 other employees) plus the staff of a seperate, sister company (approximately 11 other staff members). Although they are under the same umbrella, it is for all intensive purposes a completely seperate entity.

The email explained the reasons why I had been sacked, one of which was my late arrival on one morning, (which in my own defence was fully justified with a valid excuse), along with 3 items of "mis-conduct" in particular which he claimed had been "seriously detrimental to the company". These statements were backed up with with claims he made such as "this is a 7 figure group of companies, not a nursery" - "we have given X chance after chance after chance" and other such ridiculous & childish statements. It was extremely offensive to me, to put it bluntly it is degrading and it makes me out to be an idiot, which I find quite insulting following my hard work and dedication to the company.

To finalise the letter, he attempted to quote John F Kennedy (incorrectly) by stating "It is not what a country can do for a man, but what a man can do for his country" - followed up by "Mike never saw things this way, it was always about what he could get out of working here". This I felt to be seriously insulting and quite pathetic if I'm being honest.

I may be wrong, but I was under the assumption that it is illegal for an employer to notify any other member of staff about the reasons for another employee's sacking.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me? I would really appreciate it. I worked extremely hard for this company and now because I made it known to my employer that I was not 100% happy with my very low rate of pay, I have been sacked, in effect so that he does not have to increase my salary.

I have already applied to an Employment Tribunal regarding Unfair Dismissal. I await to hear the outcome but I am confident that I will win the claim as the sacking was not justified or warranted.

If I can sue him for Defamation of Character, I would like to, but am unsure if I have a case.

Thanks

Mike

Mike M

05/05/2006 21:10:27

Defamation of Character

Originally posted by Mike M:
Hello there,

I am 27 and have recently been sacked from my job. I've been working for a management company, who are in the music industry, for the best part of 4 years, essentially running the business very successfully whilst the managing director has been "otherwise engaged". My work has directly and notably influenced the growth and development of the business and of its management clients.

I was sacked over the telephone and received a Letter of Termination 5 days later.

The day I was sacked, my employer emailed the staff of the company I work for (3 other employees) plus the staff of a seperate, sister company (approximately 11 other staff members). Although they are under the same umbrella, it is for all intensive purposes a completely seperate entity.

The email explained the reasons why I had been sacked, one of which was my late arrival on one morning, (which in my own defence was fully justified with a valid excuse), along with 3 items of "mis-conduct" in particular which he claimed had been "seriously detrimental to the company". These statements were backed up with with claims he made such as "this is a 7 figure group of companies, not a nursery" - "we have given X chance after chance after chance" and other such ridiculous & childish statements. It was extremely offensive to me, to put it bluntly it is degrading and it makes me out to be an idiot, which I find quite insulting following my hard work and dedication to the company.

To finalise the letter, he attempted to quote John F Kennedy (incorrectly) by stating "It is not what a country can do for a man, but what a man can do for his country" - followed up by "Mike never saw things this way, it was always about what he could get out of working here". This I felt to be seriously insulting and quite pathetic if I'm being honest.

I may be wrong, but I was under the assumption that it is illegal for an employer to notify any other member of staff about the reasons for another employee's sacking.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me? I would really appreciate it. I worked extremely hard for this company and now because I made it known to my employer that I was not 100% happy with my very low rate of pay, I have been sacked, in effect so that he does not have to increase my salary.

I have already applied to an Employment Tribunal regarding Unfair Dismissal. I await to hear the outcome but I am confident that I will win the claim as the sacking was not justified or warranted.

If I can sue him for Defamation of Character, I would like to, but am unsure if I have a case.

Thanks

Mike

You should put in another claim for breach of contract asap to add to your claim but ensure you have a copy of the email as evidence. You won't get much money out of it but the fact that he sent such an email around shows a breach of mutual trust and respect from your ex-employer to you.

It is very hard for a normal person to do a company for slander and libel because companies have bigger pockets, and large/medium size companies often squirrel money away for the "legal" fund.

Slough

05/05/2006 23:46:58