Register | Forgotten password?

Home
Resigning
Job Hunting
In Work
Thinking About Quitting
Tools
Community
Shop
 

fake reference??

 
fake reference, can anyone find out ?

I've got a huge dilemma. I was made redundant about 18 months ago from a Programming job. The job was with a large blue-chip company which looks pretty good on my cv. However, I hated the job and was disillusioned with the industry as a whole.

So I thought I'd take some time off and change my career. Did some music production/song writing and stuff. But now I've run out of money and I need a job. I figured it would be easier to go back into programming again and just brush up on my skills. However I have a HUGE 18 month gap on my CV. Even though i have a degree, with 7 years experience in my field. Agency's that I have managed to speak to (that dont like responding ..) have basically said the 18 month gap is too much, and I fear no ones going to even give me an interview.

One of my friends has an IT firm and is willing to give me a reference. I've just got to say I worked there for 1 a year or so on my Cv. And that should sort out the problems and get me some interviews. However, I'm worried about a new employer asking me for a P45. If I said my friends job was a contract would a new employer still ask for a P45 or a similar form? Basically, can I get found out?

Thanks in advance ..

albsure

18/02/2006 16:49:29

fake reference, can anyone find out ?

It's difficult to live with a lie. Just put the truth on your CV saying exactly why you left and what you did during the 18 months. See how it goes. It might work to your advantage as opposed to a blank gap.

Fruity

18/02/2006 16:55:08

fake reference, can anyone find out ?

Originally posted by albsure:
I've got a huge dilemma. I was made redundant about 18 months ago from a Programming job. The job was with a large blue-chip company which looks pretty good on my cv. However, I hated the job and was disillusioned with the industry as a whole.

So I thought I'd take some time off and change my career. Did some music production/song writing and stuff. But now I've run out of money and I need a job. I figured it would be easier to go back into programming again and just brush up on my skills. However I have a HUGE 18 month gap on my CV. Even though i have a degree, with 7 years experience in my field. Agency's that I have managed to speak to (that dont like responding ..) have basically said the 18 month gap is too much, and I fear no ones going to even give me an interview.

One of my friends has an IT firm and is willing to give me a reference. I've just got to say I worked there for 1 a year or so on my Cv. And that should sort out the problems and get me some interviews. However, I'm worried about a new employer asking me for a P45. If I said my friends job was a contract would a new employer still ask for a P45 or a similar form? Basically, can I get found out?

Thanks in advance ..



It is well known that most people in IT lie to get their CV forwarded to jobs by agencies, simply because the agencies have no idea of:

1. What IT skills mean

2. They want 3 years experience in a technology that has only been out for 1 year

3. They blantantly discriminate against age, sex etc.

The easiest reasons to have gaps in CVs is to go off travelling, or to do charity work. However you must know something about the countries you have claimed to travel to.

You are less likely to get caught saying this then if you say you worked for a friend. Also if you said you worked for a friend for a year you still have some gaps in your CV which you have to explain.

You can also say you don't have a P45 as you have lost it, or the dole office have not given it to you yet as they can take up to a month.

Slough

19/02/2006 09:25:19

fake reference, can anyone find out ?

Originally posted by Slough:


It is well known that most people in IT lie to get their CV forwarded to jobs by agencies, simply because the agencies have no idea of:

1. What IT skills mean

2. They want 3 years experience in a technology that has only been out for 1 year

3. They blantantly discriminate against age, sex etc.

The easiest reasons to have gaps in CVs is to go off travelling, or to do charity work. However you must know something about the countries you have claimed to travel to.

You are less likely to get caught saying this then if you say you worked for a friend. Also if you said you worked for a friend for a year you still have some gaps in your CV which you have to explain.

You can also say you don't have a P45 as you have lost it, or the dole office have not given it to you yet as they can take up to a month.


You could try contracting for a short while where you can pick up big money and have something to put on your CV before targeting a permanent job again. Don't make a career out of it though by doing it for more than 6 months, unless you actually prefer to remain a contractor.

Suze

19/02/2006 13:47:55

fake reference, can anyone find out ?

Originally posted by Suze:


You could try contracting for a short while where you can pick up big money and have something to put on your CV before targeting a permanent job again. Don't make a career out of it though by doing it for more than 6 months, unless you actually prefer to remain a contractor rather than look for a permanent job. In the meantime get your friend to say you have done some odd bits of freelance work for him over the past few months lasting the past year or so in a relevant up-to-date saleable IT skill and get him to give you that all important reference. That will close up a year on your CV - all you need to do is put down the same name (of the fictious client) once and a summary stating that you've undertaken small discrete projects for him over that year. You won't even need to list them out individually (if you're a freelancer) Even contractors need references. I do think it's important that you have a real experience of a longer term contract, perhaps through an agency, and a real reference to back it up and prove yourself that you really are as competent as you used to be before you try the permie route again. If your IT programming skills are a bit rusty then actually fit in some part time training at the weekend or after work or even full time over the next couple of months to get them up-to-date first before embarking on the above.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I get cross with sanctamoneous recruiters harping on about CV gap closing fibs on CVs. Provided the job can be done, what does it matter? Also recruiters don't even need to keep their non-existance skills up to date, mainly because they don't have any to begin with half the time. What's worse is that they, above all other so-called quasi professionals, are masters at the art of lying. So what business do they have criticising anyone else for doing the same when they're in a hole due to some economic downturn or other reason beyond their control? If they did their own jobs competently and had to work at a real job instead of selling fresh air to the wind as a 'supplier of contractor services' then the rest of the contracting community wouldn't be so inclined to behave this way.

Suze

19/02/2006 13:59:41

fake reference, can anyone find out ?

Originally posted by albsure:
I've got a huge dilemma. I was made redundant about 18 months ago from a Programming job. The job was with a large blue-chip company which looks pretty good on my cv. However, I hated the job and was disillusioned with the industry as a whole.

So I thought I'd take some time off and change my career. Did some music production/song writing and stuff. But now I've run out of money and I need a job. I figured it would be easier to go back into programming again and just brush up on my skills. However I have a HUGE 18 month gap on my CV. Even though i have a degree, with 7 years experience in my field. Agency's that I have managed to speak to (that dont like responding ..) have basically said the 18 month gap is too much, and I fear no ones going to even give me an interview.

One of my friends has an IT firm and is willing to give me a reference. I've just got to say I worked there for 1 a year or so on my Cv. And that should sort out the problems and get me some interviews. However, I'm worried about a new employer asking me for a P45. If I said my friends job was a contract would a new employer still ask for a P45 or a similar form? Basically, can I get found out?

Thanks in advance ..

You don't ever have to give your new employer your P45. It contains personal information that they do not have a right to see. There is a substitute form called......... a P46, (for employees who do not have a P45), this is all you need for tax purposes. Alternatively you can just send your P45 direct to the tax office dealing with your new employer, they cannot disclose any information to anyone. The only downside is your may end up paying emergency tax until the tax office sort your tax code out, (approx 22% of you gross pay without any allowance), this will all be sorted out and the grand total of tax paid in the financial year will be exactly the same. If the tax office are slow dealing with you P45/P46 contact them and say the extra tax you are paying is causing you "HARDSHIP". This is the keyword that ensures you case is treated as a priority.

You will however have to prove that you have the right to work in the UK if your new employer is as vigilant as they legally should be. A passport and an old payslip (2-3 years) should be sufficient.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to fake (reproduce) any tax documents, they will not tally with you tax and NI contributions to date, and you will be investigated.

Good Luck, you liar! Steff

steff1981

06/05/2006 00:43:28

Need help with the Why

I have worked for a large IT company on a project for the past 6 years, testing software. A few weeks ago the Manager of another company approached me "confidentially" and said she will be having a position opening very soon, would I be interested. I considered the offer and agreed to listen to what she had to offer. Friday I completed an application for employment. Her boss is aware of my salary requirements and has agreed to meet it. Here's the problem though. The new company is also on this project as an Independent Verification and Validation contractor. They are responsible for validating my test results on behalf of the customer. So it's the same type of work I'm doing right now. I view this as a project in trouble and a lot of red flags are going up in my mind. For example, we went through an end-to-end process improvement review of operational procedures, recently. The review is while we are in the maintenance phase of the program and has the interest of the corporation's President but there are other things going on that doesn't add up. When I submit my Letter of Resignation how should I answer the "why" question from management as I would be working in the same type of job, on the same job site? The only difference is that I would report to the customer instead of the software test team. Thanks for any help you can give.

Rick

07/05/2006 13:07:11

Need help with the Why

I have worked for a large IT company on a project for the past 6 years, testing software. A few weeks ago the Manager of another company approached me "confidentially" and said she will be having a position opening very soon, would I be interested. I considered the offer and agreed to listen to what she had to offer. Friday I completed an application for employment. Her boss is aware of my salary requirements and has agreed to meet it. Here's the problem though. The new company is also on this project as an Independent Verification and Validation contractor. They are responsible for validating my test results on behalf of the customer. So it's the same type of work I'm doing right now. I view this as a project in trouble and a lot of red flags are going up in my mind. For example, we went through an end-to-end process improvement review of operational procedures, recently. The review is while we are in the maintenance phase of the program and has the interest of the corporation's President but there are other things going on that doesn't add up. When I submit my Letter of Resignation how should I answer the "why" question from management as I would be working in the same type of job, on the same job site? The only difference is that I would report to the customer instead of the software test team. Thanks for any help you can give.

Rick

07/05/2006 13:10:08

Need help with the Why

Originally posted by Rick:
I have worked for a large IT company on a project for the past 6 years, testing software. A few weeks ago the Manager of another company approached me "confidentially" and said she will be having a position opening very soon, would I be interested. I considered the offer and agreed to listen to what she had to offer. Friday I completed an application for employment. Her boss is aware of my salary requirements and has agreed to meet it. Here's the problem though. The new company is also on this project as an Independent Verification and Validation contractor. They are responsible for validating my test results on behalf of the customer. So it's the same type of work I'm doing right now. I view this as a project in trouble and a lot of red flags are going up in my mind. For example, we went through an end-to-end process improvement review of operational procedures, recently. The review is while we are in the maintenance phase of the program and has the interest of the corporation's President but there are other things going on that doesn't add up. When I submit my Letter of Resignation how should I answer the "why" question from management as I would be working in the same type of job, on the same job site? The only difference is that I would report to the customer instead of the software test team. Thanks for any help you can give.


What has that got to do with "fake reference"?

nacho_vidal

07/05/2006 13:10:42

Need help with the Why

Originally posted by nacho_vidal:


What has that got to do with "fake reference"?
Sorry, I thought I was starting a new topic because I pressed the Write a new message instead of Reply.

Rick

07/05/2006 13:25:07