Job Hunting
In Work
Thinking About Quitting
Tools
Community
Shop

unfair treatment

unfair treatment

ok so everyone gets treated unfairly at work at some time - but how about this??? since i started work in customer service i have never been given a copy of my "contract" even though i've asked for it nearly every day. i don't even remember signing a contract so i doubt whether i actually have one but they say i do. Under the rules of this "contract" i should be allowed extra holiday every time i work a bank holiday - but as yet i have not been allowed any holiday - not even my usual entitlement! when my kid was being born they wouldn't let me leave til the end of the shift! i'm made to do all the jobs that everyone hates - my boss and co-workers refuse to do certain jobs and order me to do them - then i get blamed if it takes me ages to do it all by myself. my boss even accused me of chucking some promotion stuff away cos he couldnt find it. yesterday my boss turned up (on his holiday) to check up on me and started shouting at me for not doing something i had already done. one of the main jobs is to prepare everything for the people on the next shift - no-one but me will do this. so when i come in nothing is done and i get the blame for taking ages to set up!!! none of my co-workers are treated like this! i know i should be able to do something about the "contract" and the holiday entitlement but does anyone know if i can do anything about the bad treatment?

Birch

08/06/2006 09:17:02

unfair treatment

Originally posted by Birch:
ok so everyone gets treated unfairly at work at some time - but how about this??? since i started work in customer service i have never been given a copy of my "contract" even though i've asked for it nearly every day. i don't even remember signing a contract so i doubt whether i actually have one but they say i do. Under the rules of this "contract" i should be allowed extra holiday every time i work a bank holiday - but as yet i have not been allowed any holiday - not even my usual entitlement! when my kid was being born they wouldn't let me leave til the end of the shift! i'm made to do all the jobs that everyone hates - my boss and co-workers refuse to do certain jobs and order me to do them - then i get blamed if it takes me ages to do it all by myself. my boss even accused me of chucking some promotion stuff away cos he couldnt find it. yesterday my boss turned up (on his holiday) to check up on me and started shouting at me for not doing something i had already done. one of the main jobs is to prepare everything for the people on the next shift - no-one but me will do this. so when i come in nothing is done and i get the blame for taking ages to set up!!! none of my co-workers are treated like this! i know i should be able to do something about the "contract" and the holiday entitlement but does anyone know if i can do anything about the bad treatment?

Write letter to your employer send it by fax or recorded delivery and demand a "statement of your terms of employment". State that you would like this statement to be given to you within 28 days. By law you are not entitled to a contract in the uk but a "statement of terms of employment".

If you don't get the statement contract your local CAB and show them the copy of the letter and the fax/recorded delivery slip.

Slough

08/06/2006 13:09:31

unfair treatment

Originally posted by Slough:

Write letter to your employer send it by fax or recorded delivery and demand a "statement of your terms of employment". State that you would like this statement to be given to you within 28 days. By law you are not entitled to a contract in the uk but a "statement of terms of employment".

If you don't get the statement contract your local CAB and show them the copy of the letter and the fax/recorded delivery slip.

Find out where the twat lives...and go pour paint remover over his car. I'm not being flippant but us..the workers should not have to put up with this!! we have rights to!! there's so many damn rights protecting employers..but what about us?! LETS TAKE ACTION NOW!!

Steve007

09/06/2006 12:29:21

unfair treatment

Too right, he sounds like a complete tosser who really needs to get a life.

Originally posted by Steve007:

Find out where the twat lives...and go pour paint remover over his car. I'm not being flippant but us..the workers should not have to put up with this!! we have rights to!! there's so many damn rights protecting employers..but what about us?! LETS TAKE ACTION NOW!!

Gazza

09/06/2006 16:29:01

unfair treatment

Iv'e just been put in the same situation myself. It came to a point were i have actually walked out of work last week and i have now handed in my notice. I'd been working in a supermarket were i had been doing various jobs all to the bosses satisfaction, or so i thought. When i first started there i was the bees knees i couldnt do any wrong, how it all changed just a few months later.He told me that i was suddenly too slow i had got to speed up, i had been at work for 2 1/2 hours and there was nothing to show for my work. The man is just a complete bully, two other girls had just left because of how they were treated. Can anyone inform me of my rights on this matter.

Helena

16/11/2006 08:30:00

Bullied at work - Unfair Treatment

First and foremost, I'd love to name my employer, but dont know if I should. I have recently left my job. However, prior to leaving, I was feeling like crap. At times, my manager would backbite about me with other managers; I had personal emails of mines that I had sent to management shown to my colleagues BY MANAGEMENT; my manager would refuse to help me in certain cases but help others in the exact same cases, double standards; my director would openly swear and promote a culture of name and shame in the workplace; and to top it all off, despite being the best performer, I never got any appreciation but others did, despite working till late at times even after my shift had finished. At times my manager would completely ignore me but at the same time be all cheerful with other team mates. I felt like a kid being bullied in a playground. I am thinking of taking this further and have been in touch with some tribunal/employment law companies. I am wanting to seek compensation, and in general, I just want the company to suffer the same way I have. These banks can get away with murder, but I wont let that happen. Any advice on what I can do and how I can go about it?

mbia1223

17/03/2009 23:45:42

Unless you can demonstrate that you have fully exhausted all the employers internal procedures (grievances, appeals etc), there is nothing you can do. In UK law there is no such thing as compensation for the things you describe - employment tribunals do not deal with compensation, they deal with awards, which are an entirely different thing; and they do so under strict criteria. If you have resigned from your position without exhausting the internal procedures they will not take your case.

shikahra

18/03/2009 07:39:29

Shift Rota's

I started a new job in a nursing home and have been there now 5 weeks. The Matron/Manageress gives herself,family members the best shifts and weekends off and the rest of us have to put up with what she gives us. I have had one weekend off in the 5 weeks only because I requested this. I have spoken to her and the owner of the home on seperate occaisions with regards this and have been told that I have to work shifts that are given. I have today found that I am doing all late shifts Christmas week 2-8 with one 12 hour shift ,where the matron and family members have the whole of christmas and new year off. I find this to be unfair full stop and have questioned this again and been fobbed off yet again. Where do I stand with regards to my rights in this matter? I think I am being discrimanated by the way she is treating me. look forward to a relpy.

Elainelawton

12/11/2009 21:41:29

get real!!! care work is 24/7 and the residents/clents need people who want to be there not people who are already moaning about working christmas and new year!!! which by the way are just one or two days out of your life!! stop worrying about what the manager does and her family do, with respect if you cannot hack working in care which is a demanding but rewarding job then go somewhere else. i am sure the manager can live without your moans. sorry to sound so unsympathetic but if i were in need of care i would want the person looking after me to be there because they wanted to!!!

crocodile

12/11/2009 23:41:53

SNAP

its exactly the same where i work..double standards and some people forced to quit as they are not in my female managers favoured little group.

Plus my manager keeps boasting about her shoplifting and telling the young girls who are about 20 how she does it and encouraging them..oh how I wish she would get caught and be sacked....

fingers crossed...

Seems theres a lot of workplace bullying about sadly

rachelzoe

13/11/2009 18:00:21

I suggest you look for another care job where the shifts / workload is more equally shared out. I am a manager in a residential care setting and we all do two weekends out of four. There are some excellently run care homes around.

Good luck

anakin831

13/11/2009 21:29:59