Job Hunting
In Work
Thinking About Quitting
Tools
Community
Shop

job interviews while on sick

job interviews while on sick leave

I am currently on sick leave for anxiety and depression related to work. Is it ok to go to job interviews while your on sick or not? I got offered the job verbally subject to crb checks and a reference from current employer.

Please help as I am planning to give notice in soon and dont want any repercussions from employers saying i am not allowed to go to interviews while on sick leave.

andi67

29/01/2007 21:11:12

Originally posted by andi67:
I am currently on sick leave for anxiety and depression related to work. Is it ok to go to job interviews while your on sick or not? I got offered the job verbally subject to crb checks and a reference from current employer.

Please help as I am planning to give notice in soon and dont want any repercussions from employers saying i am not allowed to go to interviews while on sick leave.

Well you could risk it, but would you perform properly at interview iif you are suffering from depression? Also you need to be sure that you won't be spotted in your nice interview suit at the train station when you're supposed to be resting at home. Make sure the interview time doesn't coincide with busy commuting periods either coming or going (so factor in the time to get there and back with the interview time slotted in) and that you take an untypical route away from your workplace offices if the job is located in a similar place to your current workplace.

If necessary wear dark glasses (and even a wig or untypical hat you would normally not wear with a low brim) or else go by taxi if you can't control the above. Being recognised and mobile camera zapped would lead to a dismissal without remedy, if you are not careful. Then you will feel even more depressed than you already do.

Suze

29/01/2007 23:09:48

Originally posted by Suze:

Well you could risk it, but would you perform properly at interview iif you are suffering from depression? Also you need to be sure that you won't be spotted in your nice interview suit at the train station when you're supposed to be resting at home. Make sure the interview time doesn't coincide with busy commuting periods either coming or going (so factor in the time to get there and back with the interview time slotted in) and that you take an untypical route away from your workplace offices if the job is located in a similar place to your current workplace.

If necessary wear dark glasses (and even a wig or untypical hat you would normally not wear with a low brim) or else go by taxi if you can't control the above. Being recognised and mobile camera zapped would lead to a dismissal without remedy, if you are not careful. Then you will feel even more depressed than you already do.

Thanks for info, I am handing my notice in tomorrow anyway, which I had decided to do whatever the outcome of any job offers, I have been off since November and can not face going back to such an awful place. I spoke to the local CAB last year and they seem to think they could not stop you from going out and looking for other jobs, just wasent sure legally whether I could go to interviews. I know most people who are in work tend to take sickies when they go to job interviews. I wish I could sue them for the stress they have caused me and my family, but I know it is very difficult to do and my husband also works at the same place so makes it even harder if they try to be clever with him. Just have to put it down to experience.

andi67

30/01/2007 15:37:09

Don't feel bad about moving on. I know its not nice to be made ill by your workplace - just remember, success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom!

cookiemonster

30/01/2007 20:21:15

Handing in my notice and still taking hols

Hello

Can anyone help,I am 26 and I am handing my notice in tomorrow due to being so unhappy in my work place of over a year in the uk. The job is going no where and my other team mate it is a bit of a bully, she has been horrible on and off all year. And made my life hell on days when she is in a bad mood. Communication in our team of two is very poor and I spend most of the day in silence. I have never wanted to bring it up with work as my Office manager is very clicky with her, infact the whole office is. And I dont think it will help in the end. Just make things worse for me. Its one of them small companies where everyone has been there for years and either is related or knows each other well anyway.The is alot of gossip and its very clicky. There is no HR department either.

I have been looking for work in london a 40 min train ride away for 8 months now, but have struggled to go to interviews. It has got that bad now that I am in a circle of being so unhappy and NEEDING to leave because it is distoying my happiness out side of work. But finding it so hard to go for interviews as I am a train ride away and have no lunch break to even leave early!

So it has come to this, my notice goes in tomorrow and I feel the weight off already But!! I still have this problem of going to interviews, how much notice can I give for a last minute half day holiday? Can I now say I have an interview and need a certain day off? I have an interview this Thursday and want this job can I say? I am confused and scared I dont want to be out of work for too long, but I have had to do this as I was so unhappy. What can I do please help.

I

merlin81

10/02/2008 10:48:34

Handing in my notice and still taking hols

Hello

Can anyone help,I am 26 and I am handing my notice in tomorrow due to being so unhappy in my work place of over a year in the uk. The job is going no where and my other team mate it is a bit of a bully, she has been horrible on and off all year. And made my life hell on days when she is in a bad mood. Communication in our team of two is very poor and I spend most of the day in silence. I have never wanted to bring it up with work as my Office manager is very clicky with her, infact the whole office is. And I dont think it will help in the end. Just make things worse for me. Its one of them small companies where everyone has been there for years and either is related or knows each other well anyway.The is alot of gossip and its very clicky. There is no HR department either.

I have been looking for work in london a 40 min train ride away for 8 months now, but have struggled to go to interviews. It has got that bad now that I am in a circle of being so unhappy and NEEDING to leave because it is distoying my happiness out side of work. But finding it so hard to go for interviews as I am a train ride away and have no lunch break to even leave early!

So it has come to this, my notice goes in tomorrow and I feel the weight off already But!! I still have this problem of going to interviews, how much notice can I give for a last minute half day holiday? Can I now say I have an interview and need a certain day off? I have an interview this Thursday and want this job can I say? I am confused and scared I dont want to be out of work for too long, but I have had to do this as I was so unhappy. What can I do please help.

I

merlin81

10/02/2008 10:48:43

You don't have to give any reason to apply to take a half day holiday.

And if you think it might be refused, you could always just for the same half day have an urgent domestic emergency or be ill or have a doctors or dentists or hospital appointment............

bubbles_once

10/02/2008 11:03:18

Andi67

When I was working for an employer, I had several operations which I had to go on 15 weeks sick after the final op to recover, attend the initial physio etc. I looked for another job at that time due to several things one of them was that my office was on the 5th floor (no lifts) and the management team refused to relocate me on the ground or 1st floor. My leg was badly smashed and damaged when a car ploughed into my friend's car. If I continued to work at the employer above, then the ops would be a waste of time. When looking for jobs in the future, I find out if the office is on ground/1st floor or has a lift. I have also been in companies where we move offices as well.

qazxswedc

10/02/2008 23:52:41

Resigned with no notice - What do I say to my next employer at interview?

In July last year, My 13 year old son witnessed his father's drug/alcohol abuse and severe neglect of him. He told the authorities willingly about his father because he wanted out of his father's home environment. Without my son's statements, I did not have a legal leg to stand on.

The results were a complete change in my son's world. In addition to adolescence and school starting in just a few weeks, he had to change schools, he left his old friends and had to make new ones, and had to cope with the fact that he "ratted" on his father. My son is ADD-Inattentive which means he's naturally prone to anxiety. Any additonal stress creates more anxiety. His father rocked his world and left me with the pieces of my son to pick up.

Severe, unpredictable panic attacks ensued in the following weeks typically in the morning before school. Some included thoughts of suicide. My son associated school with his "bad dad" feelings. I called in to my "sympathetic" boss who told me to do what I needed to do to help my son. I worked for a healthcare organization so I figured they would understand. In 3 months time, my son was better but I received a write up to my employment file indicating that I abused the timekeeping and attendance policy at work.

I disagreed with the write up and was angered by it because my son came first and I thought my boss, through her "apparent" support, backed me but she actually didn't. My position was also being looked at for elimination since we had just gone through a merger. As if my life was not already hectic enough. I figured they were trying to get rid of me through company policy.

The next day, I called in on medical leave for 2 months due to the stress of the situation. My son is now adjusted to school and the bad situation is behind us. When I asked my employer for a one week extension of time toi coincide with the ending of my medical leave, I was told that "business needs must be discussed first regarding my position." I knew then that my position was definitely going to be eliminated. I had no work to do when I was at work so the whole thing did not make any sense to me.

I decided to resign that morning without giving notice. I rationalized the resignation believing I did the company a favor by saving them the incredibly high salary they paid me to do absolutely nothing everyday, and gave them the "go ahead" to eliminate the position, which they did. I was bored to tears when I was at work.

My fear is now that I learned I am no longer hireable in other areas of this company (I was selected for a position but told later they gave it to someone else because "I resigned without notice"), what will this company say to future employers outside this company who request to contact my employer?

I'm checking now to see if I can get a letter of recommendation from the medical director of this company, which will go a long way in my support.

Any advice?

loribrownshoe

09/02/2010 15:52:12

I am not sure excatly what you want advice on, but I assume it is the situation with the reference. The fact is that within the most recent employers company it is there decision how they treat the possible re-hiring of former employees, but it is far from uncommon for files to include a "do not rehire" note on anyone who has been disciplined, dismissed or left without notice - and there is nothing unlawful in them doing this. Provided they do not break the law on discrimination then they have the right to hire who they like.

In terms of future references, the employer must give a truthful reference, but that does not mean "good" or "favourable". So they may continue to say that you left without working your notice becasue that is true. Since this is the case, the only alternative left to you would be to ensure that the statements in your reference do not come as a surprise to a potential employer by alerting them to the possibility that there may be something awkward in the reference. Try to avoid being critical of your former employer (nobody wants to hear what you think of your former employer) and keep the explanation short and sweet - something along the lines of resigning with immediate effect due to personal family circumstances which meant you needed to give your son your complete attention. In other words, something that they can empathise with, understand, but also get a sense that you won't do the same thing to them!

shikahra

09/02/2010 16:05:19