Home
Resigning
Job Hunting
In Work
Thinking About Quitting
Tools
Community
Shop

Shikahra - Appeal Against Dismissal...Standard Letter?

Shikahra - Appeal Against Dismissal...Standard Letter?

Hi,

My Dad has been flat out dismissed.

I won't go into details, but I think it's unfair (yes, that's an opinion, not fact)...even so...

He's entitled to appeal within 5 days.

Is there any protocol/standard procedure we should follow?

Do we just need to 'signal our intent' to appeal within 5 days?

Or are we expected to have a full-blown counter-argument in place and in writing?

Shikahra - you seem to be the go-to expert here. I'd really appreciate your help -- even if it's a single sentence.

Thanks, Steve

stevefu72

26/04/2009 23:47:25

Flattery will get you nowhere!

I think this is a new post - I can't recall any former threads and can't find any. But there is no standard procedure. The letter should simply say that you want to appeal the dismissal. If you then post the details, the rest of us here will have a look at what you say and suggest what actions you might take. I'm in tribunals tomorrow, so won't be around as much during the day, but I can usually pick up something at certain times of the day like lunchtime - Bubbles or Steve are also great advisors, so they may be around too. But as long as you get in a letter saying that you appeal the decision, we have a bit of time to sort out the details of what he is going to say/do.

In the meantime, can you tell us as much detail as you can about the dismissal. I suggest you type it in word, and cut and paste - this site has a really annoying habit of eating posts just after you have finished a particularly complex one! It will save you having to retype it all if it does eat it.

Oh - and we'd obviously prefer facts and not opinion :-)

shikahra

27/04/2009 00:06:26

Hi

First thing to advise might be not to get up too much hope surrounding an appeal. Most tend to be a foregone conclusion; even those that overturn a dismissal often only do so for purely tactical reasons, along the lines of 'we did it wrong this time so we'll take you back so you can't screw us at a tribunal and do it right next time soon.'

But it can happen, so 'nil desperandum' as they say in Pompeii.

Also, there is no particular statutory format laid-down for appeals, except that it's recommended where at all possible that previously-uninvolved and more senior managers hear the appeal.

Sometimes, pointing to obviously-flawed former processes etc can be effective, especially in putting the wind up any HR officers 'advising' the hearing.

bubbles_once

27/04/2009 08:22:16