Register | Forgotten password?

Job Hunting
In Work
Thinking About Quitting

Job offer and handing in my notice

Job offer and handing in my notice


Hi i would really appreciate your help,

I currently work for a public sector company and have just recieved a job offer for a position not in the public sector. I was offered the position on the telephone, which i verbally accepted and i have now recieved a letter via email from the director. The letter does not state that the job is subject to references, however during the phone call he stated that he would be getting references. The letter states that they want me to confirm my acceptance in writing with my proposed start date. I have informed my current manager that i have accepted this position but she said that i should wait for references to be returned before i hand in my notice. I have a notice period of 1 month so would need to work this out once i hand my notice in. i am very confused and not sure what to do, i dont expect any references to be bad, but should i hand my notice in without these being completed and given to the new company?? or should i not wait and hand my notice in tomorrow? Many thanks.


10/20/2009 10:33:08 PM


I just went through this and went into my new post this monday and had the job retracted and there's nothing I can do because my job offer letter said 'on receipt of satisfactory references.'

I handed in my notice which the new job put a lot of pressure on me to do before sending me my signed letter of employment served my notice and now can't go back to the job I've been in and loved for three years.

I had no doubt about my references but when they were received the new company said not thorough enough one week before my start date and it was impossible to get more feedback/new references within that timeframe.

Your manager sounds like they are really careful/looking out for you.. can your references be done immediately so they're accepted and any issues/concerns raised immediately - I really hope you don't get put in the same situation that I am in as of yesterday :(


10/20/2009 10:51:30 PM

In most cases there won't be a problem, assuming that there isn't an issue with your references, although the legal position is not that the job is yours as long as your references are good, only that the job is not yours until the references are received and the new employer has the final chance to make up their mind.

So, the job offer could be withdrawn, and on that basis you might want to tell your new company that you cannot agree a start date until you have an unconditional offer, so won't be resigning until the references have been received and the offer confirmed. It's not an unreasonable position, and your new employer should understand it.

Though perhaps the emphasis is on the word "should" - they may view it as rocking the boat. But as the other poster has found out, resigning before you have an unconditional job offer can leave you stranded if the offer is then withdrawn, if you have already given up your old job.

So, while there is an element of risk in either accepting now or stalling until an unconditional offer has come through, the balance probably lies in favour of not resigning until you have the confirmed offer.

monkey steve

10/21/2009 9:50:00 AM


In starting any new job, from week 1 until week 51 you can be dismissed at will, without 'fair' reason so long as due contractual notice is given, so, against this background, the issue of references doesn't usually loom very large.

Much depends on whether or not the new job offer was 'conditional upon (in our sole opinion) satisfactory references from your former employer' or similar.

Nothing to stop you asking new enmployer to confirm that their offer is unconditional because, if it's conditional on 'satisfactory' references, you'll have to wait before you formally resign and that will delay things.

And take it from there, possibly ?


10/21/2009 10:20:34 AM