Job Hunting
In Work
Thinking About Quitting
Tools
Community
Shop

I have handed in my resignation - without a new job lined up

I have handed in my resignation - without a new job lined up

This is going to sound crazy in the current economic climate, but I handed in my resignation to my current employer and will be working my 1 month notice period - but I do not have a new job lined up.

I have been working for 13 years and never did this, it is an act of desparation by now - I have tried to tolerate this job for 18 months and it has been hell at times: it's affected my physical and mental health and I have suddenly had enough.

The reason I am posting this on here, is that I am concerned that if I do not find a new job within 1 month, how am I going to explain to potential new employers why I left my last job without having a new one lined up?

I can't help but think they are going to suspect negative reasons and question deeply - I can hardly say that I was physically ill for 2 weeks caused by doing the work of 4 people for months and quit to safeguard my health.....

Has anyone been in this position? Were you just honest to a potential new employer or did you dream up an excellent story?

Thanks, hope you can help me.

Jimbo1979

20/01/2010 19:10:29

Whilst you could dream up a story such as going traveling, or looking after a sick relative, remember that future employers will want to take up a reference, probably with your current employers.

Florence

20/01/2010 19:34:47

Been there...Done that

Hi

I've been in that position, where you know you just can't take/face it anymore. I knew before I completed my probation period (3 months) that I'd made the wrong decision. The things I was told at the interview didn't transpire. I was out of work for 3 months then I found my current role, which is great. I told my manager why I'd left my previous job and he was ok with it. Well, obviously, or he wouldn't have hired me :-) what I'm saying is it can work out and it takes bravery to jump without anything to jump into. Good luck. It might be daunting now, but in a few months you'll have a new job and be really pleased you did it.

GreeboTheCat

20/01/2010 20:19:06

Hello all,

Thank you for your replies.

I did raise my poor health caused by work with my manager and HR and they were awful - I in face secretly recorded it. But at the same time, I have in the past had a couple of outbursts in work and it's gone against me. So I do not feel like I can take a grievance route.

However, I have not quit on bad terms despite that meeting - I will still get a reference.

My concern is that if I do not find a job within a month, there will then be a gap on my CV and I have to answer awkward questions - but at least I can get a reference.

I have an advantage as I live quite close to the City of London business district, so may hopefully get something.

Jimbo1979

20/01/2010 20:24:24

Jimbo - I can only echo other posters here. Tell the truth. It may seem like a daft thing to do, but there is nothing more transparent than a lie! However innocuous it may be! Very few people can tell one convincingly, and even the merest hint will send potential employers scurrying for the real reason - and their assumptions will probably be a million miles off the mark! They are mostly interested in your skills and experience and if they are a mtach for what they want. Your resume doesn't sound like a fly-by-night (I assume you don't make a habit of this?). Turn it to your advantage by demonstrating how you thought through the issues involved and balanced judgements, show initiative in explaining your decisions logically, and this this may in fact make you a more attractive candidate to some employers. Anyone can stick in a job because they don't have the presence of mind to know when to get out!

shikahra

20/01/2010 21:35:38

Text Messsaging" I Quit !"to "acting manager"

So I was at work pissed off and frustrated and I sent a text message to my unofficial acting manager that included the words "I Quit!". I was venting via text and at that moment meant it but still finished my shift. The following day my acting manager text messaged me for my manager asking me to return the store key when I pick up my paycheck. I asked why and she said I quit. Long story short, can my manager take her word for it if it was a text message? I mean I rectified the situation and "I" callled my manager and explained why i sent the text but they took me off the schedule for the rest of this week because they "assumed" I officially resigned. I never got a call from my manager at all. He didn't even attempt to verify with me if the information he received from my acting manager was true or not. I just want to know what steps does a manager have to take if he heard an employee quit?

kamahine

22/01/2010 01:50:25

Your manager/acting manager/ whatever did not "hear" you quit - you DID quit. Letter, text, e-mail, verbal - it doesn't matter. There is no room for misinterpreting "I quit". You have therefore resigned and your employer has accepted it. You might try explaining nicely that you didn't mean it - but they are under no obligation to allow you to take back the resignation.

shikahra

22/01/2010 09:56:50

Jimbo, I resigned in November 2009 without a job to go to due to a dispute at work with nowhere to go. I am currently unemployed and feel for you.

Could I suggest you consider some form of home study or college course that relates to your current career or even something new? It's something you can put on your CV and if a potential employer asks what you did in your "break", you can say you decided to get some more qualifications to boast your career options. This will show a potential employer you are keen to learn new skills and wasn't just sitting at home watching daytime television!

I have had a couple of interviews and have said that I left due to situations in my personal life spreading into my work life which made me realise I needed to leave, which is how it started anyway.

Hope it works out for you.

ktr85710

25/01/2010 12:32:19

I did the same and it worked.

Hi Jimbo, I did the same - the best thing I found was not to lie and not to worry. Try and get some rest. A positive statement I made was this - I was very committed to my current job and we had strict rules about internet rules so this did not allow me to properly consider or search for my next career move. However I felt that now is the right time for me to consider moving on so I felt that by devoting some quality time to my search and exploring my options, I would be able to choose the right role. (I found that most of my interviewees envied me as it also showed that I can look after myself) You can also make yourself available for temporary assignments whilst you look for a permanent role to keep yourself in the market. Focus on your skills and I promise you'll be fine. Good luck.

Eveseven

25/01/2010 20:46:00

Dear all,

Thank you again for your posts.

I have to say it's been nearly a week and I have had a mixture of feeling liberalised as I am leaving to having bouts of depression and isomnia as I have rent, bills etc to pay.

I have already sent off an application for 3 jobs - I am only going to be picky for a couple of weeks and if I hear nothing back from them, I am going to try to sign up for temping work, then I may just have to take anything!

It's a horrible thought knowing I could be breaking my CV up again, after stabalising it for 6 years, but there again, I can't stand being in my job any longer.

It wouldnt be so bad if there wasn't the worse recession on in history! But there are jobs out there, just not the best ones at times.

Jimbo1979

25/01/2010 21:46:22

Unemployment actaully dropped in the latest figures and tomorrow it's expected that the government will announce the recession is officially over. So things aren't quite as bleak as perhaps they were last week!

Florence

25/01/2010 22:46:31

jimbo 1979

Its a good idea not to 'burn your bridges' and at least you are working your notice with a reference at the end of your notice. you are in a better position that a lot of people who post on this site.

Life is too short to be in a job that is making you unhappy recession or no recession. i work in social care and right now there are opportunties to help people with disbilities to live in their own homes. i am involved in recruitment and training and have seen an increase in applicants from all professions (redundancies etc) and also more male applicants in what is a predominantly female occupation which is also good. these people are enjoying the job and say they have never been happier. the money is not great but its a worthwhile job if you can cut it. there are jobs out there and whilst they may not pay mega bucks they can keep the wolves from the door. if its any consolation both my kids have done what you have done. one just walked out of a job he loathed much to my dismay and concern but you know what they are both fine. both working in jobs they want to do and are happy.

nonblonde

25/01/2010 23:36:14

Hey Jimbo,

I'm in a similar situation where I just can't take anymore. I'm on sick leave until my doctor tells me otherwise but I'm dreading having to face my boss. I think she'll just accuse me of lying about everything I've been going through because she's never been very supportive and has always sided with others.

I am so desperately tempted to just quit though! I'm also scared of what potential employers might think of me but reading your post and the replies has shown me that there is light at the end of that tunnel. If I need to quit for my health, I'm sure it will be fine.

I'm sure you'll get there and find something great. All the best x

TuneBunny

25/01/2010 23:39:44